While searching for ideas of what to cover in my first blog post of 2020, I was reminded of an awesome tradition a co-worker of mine started with his wife eight years ago…an annual bucket list! So I did a little research and narrowed it down to 10 different categories of focus and even added a category to challenge YOU to complete some bucket list items of your own! I will update this throughout the 366 days this year when I complete each item, linking it to a new post covering how it went!!
Take an overnight train ride– added to 40×40 list as “take a train ride”
- Travel someplace where someone isn’t waiting for me to arrive – completed 2/8/20
- Visit 7 Pools in Bentonville, VA – completed 3/20/20
- Visit and complete races in
6+new states – was only able to do 4: FL in Jan, CA in Feb, NH in Oct, and TN in Dec
- Visit Beachbody HQ – completed 2/6/20
5+more National Parks/Forests to use our new annual membership – was only able to do 2 more: Shenandoah National Park and Smoky Mountain National Park, both which weren’t even asking for cards! Go for a road trip with just my cat– added to 40×40 list as “take a road trip”
Adventures & Experiences:
- Go canoeing or kayaking on the Shenandoah – completed 5/25/20 and many times thereafter!
- Bet on a Charles Town horse race – completed 3/7/20
Do karaoke again– added to 40×40 list
Attend a fashion show
Participate in a dinner theater or murder mystery
- Go golfing – completed 4/20/20
Hike Old Rag– added to 40×40 list
- Pick a wand at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – completed 12/19/20
Visit a Zoo Lights
Attend the public open house for the Washington D.C. Temple after renovations
Go back up in the Washington Monument
See a play on Broadway
Attend 3+ BHS events, beyond football games Eat at a Michelin-starred restaurant– probably could have made this happen, but wasn’t a priority with COVID
Get our house cleaned professionally– not yet, but we got a Roomba! ^_^
- Paint the family room and upstairs hallway – completed 4/19/20
Prepare my workout room to eventually become a nursery– nope, cuz I’m a slacker…but added to my 40×40 list to organize the closet at least (which is the worst!)
- Get a quote for deck/addition renovation – completed 2/17/20
- Meet 5+ more people I only know online, in person – completed 2/6/20
Hang out with a neighbor– didn’t make this a priority due to COVID, but will try again!
- End a pointless friendship – completed 10/20/20
- Reconcile with someone – completed 11/21/20
- COVID –
Spend more time with my coworkers outside of school or on-campus events(but will try again!!) Have more phone-free meals at the dining room table– this started out as a great intention, but the effort definitely went away once COVID struck
Prepare my will– nope, but really should!!
- Get both credit cards to less than 5% usage – got them both down by August, but back up now haha
- Reach $10,000 in savings – reached it in May but then got our addition put on!
- Speak with a tax professional and set up quarterly tax payments – quarterly tax payments started in March, but no talking with professional
- Get my credit score back to 800 – completed 3/18/20, down after loan for addition, then back to 800 in November!
Volunteer at a soup kitchen or animal shelter Go Plogging– picked up trash during walks and runs, but not with the complete intention to do so Utilize more Farmer’s Markets– didn’t make this a priority with COVID Buy someone’s drink or meal without their knowledge– no, but will do this again soon!
- Donate one week’s commission to a good cause – no, but donated to many causes throughout the year, exceeding this amount!
- Plant and maintain my own garden – completed between March and August!
- Do another Paint Nite, or similar creative venture – completed 12/5 and 12/7/20!
- Send more handwritten letters – did a few more this year, but not enough!
- Make something from scratch – completed 4/8 and 4/9/20 with InstantPot adventures!
Complete a 1000+ piece puzzle by myself– started one but it was too hard and I just slacked on trying another haha
- Send Christmas cards – completed 12/9/20!
- Make a vision board (completed 2/17/20)
Learning & Growing:
- Complete the Pop Sugar Reading Challenge, with advanced prompts, for the second year – completed 12/30/20!
Learn to play chess– could blame COVID for this, but only the learning in person part. I could’ve found something to help online!!
Join a choir again
Attend a religious service
- Do more research on the presidential candidates before the election – completed and voted early 10/21/20
Take a free online course– signed up for one, but never did it (SLACKER!!!)
- Watch “Game Changers,” at Ricky’s request – completed 12/24/20
Achieve 2-star Diamond, Premiere– didn’t make this a priority, but will keep working toward it!
Body & Health:
Participate in Flotation Therapy– added to 40×40 list Make a baby– unfortunately not yet Be able to do at least one unassisted pull-up– didn’t make this a priority Learn proper meditation techniques– baby steps toward this one and added BB Meditation Program to 40×40 list!
- Go vegetarian for at least a week again – completed 11/15/20
- Explore more meatless meal options and work toward having at least one meatless meal per week – completed Jan-Dec!, especially after completing The Ultimate Reset and watching Game Changers.
Try eyebrow threading– added to 40×40 list
Finally get twentysix.two tattooed on my left foot– added to 40×40 list as “get a tattoo” (could be my hummingbird instead)
- Finally finish at least the first book in the Harry Potter series before we go to Universal Studios – completed 3/5 and 3/10/20 (first two books)
Rewatch the entire Star Wars saga– not yet, but will!
- Sleep or nap in my hammock – didn’t get to sleep/nap, but did lay in it for awhile on 4/8/20
- Put up a real Christmas tree this year – didn’t end up going with a real one, but invested in a really nice artificial one and put it up 11/29/20
And the last category is for YOU!!
Goals for Others: These are things I’ve accomplished or experiences I’ve had that I think everyone should strive to do at some point, if it applies 😀
- Participate in a Polar Plunge
- Complete a full specific workout program, start to finish
- Get a book signed by a favorite author
- Get a professional massage
- Get a tattoo with a friend or family member
- Go streaking
- Do a “Tip the Bill” or something like “Operation Breakfast”
- Visit a hot springs and talk with strangers while you soak
- Roll down a hill, without kids
- Give up soda
- Hit rope drop on a fresh powdered slope to carve fresh tracks
- Order room service
- Go behind the falls at Niagara Falls
- Watch a space shuttle launch
- Go to a drive-in movie theater
- Quit smoking
- Reread a favorite childhood book
- Get a passport and travel somewhere outside of your native country
- Get up early to workout before work for at least one week
- Register and complete a 5k…walk it, jog it, run it, crawl it…just finish
Do you keep an annual or lifelong Bucket List? I’d love to see what’s on YOURS!